3.30.2015

Weekend Recap and Toddler Bed Update

Happy Monday Everyone!  I can't believe Easter is this weekend, unfortunately our finicky Maryland weather kept the temperatures in the 30/40s this weekend which made for a loooong weekend with a toddler who is ready for summer.   We did get some outside time yesterday afternoon so it wasn't a total wash!

As I mentioned on Friday Kyle was away all last week and it was a rough week for sleep in our house.  At one point on Thursday night/Friday morning at 2:30am BOTH babies were crying and there was only one of me.  It might have been my hardest parenting moment to date but I got us all through and had everyone back to bed by 3am.  I think I got maybe 3 hours of sleep that night.  Thankfully I was able to make some of it up this weekend.  

 Friday was a little chilly but we still managed to get some time outside to play for bit.






After playgroup and running errands on Friday I decided that we deserved Chick fila because I was not cooking!   I figured this was an easy dinner for the super picky Mr. Miller since he usually loves Chick fila. 

The toddler-dinner stand off 

Yeah he was not having it.  I on the other hand enjoyed mine with a huge glass of wine and made him sit there and watch me eat it.  


 
Miller's toddler bed arrived Saturday afternoon and him and Kyle put it together.  We made a really big deal out of his bed and how exciting it was to be a big boy. 



He picked out choo choo sheets and was so excited about the bed once it was put together.  

 He did not like the quilt and pillow on his bed and preferred to see the choo choos and have all his friends on it. 


Now how did our first night go?!  HORRIBLY!!  He can open and unlock doors so we put a baby gate on his door.  For the first 30 minutes or so he stood there saying "oh no" and  I went and put him back in bed twice.  Then the crying started which honestly was an improvement from the screaming we've been listening too so Kyle went in and tried to get him down.  Well Kyle decided to lay down next to him to see if that would help but he kept climbing out and trying to play.  Finally Kyle put him back down and left.  That's when the screaming started.  I tried to calm him down but he only wanted Dada so Kyle ended up sleeping on his floor next to Miller in the bed.  This was about 10pm when we finally got him down.  Kyle snuck out about 30 minutes later.  At 2am we woke up to Miller screaming so Kyle went in there and laid on the floor with him and Miller slept next to him on the floor until 4am when Kyle snuck out.  Miller was then up at 6am for the day. 

I haven't written about his sleep problems on here a lot and they deserve a whole post. He's never  been a good sleeper but the past three weeks have been awful and we feel like we haven't been able to give Matthew an adequate sleep routine or enough attention because we've been dealing with Miller so much.   The toddler bed was a bit of a hasty last ditch effort.    We tried it again for nap time on Sunday and it still didn't go well so we just scraped his nap.    
We tried again on Sunday night  and we let him cry for an hour and he still didn't stop screaming or banging on the walls so I went in.  I decided to put him in his crib (we left it in the room) and I laid next to the crib on the floor and he was asleep in five minutes.  We're not sure if he was overly tired or if the toddler bed made him appreciate his crib more but we were happy with that result. 

Now where do we go from here?  Well he has an awful cold right now and we're pretty sure he's getting molars because he has his hands in his mouth all day every day so we're going to wait a week or two until he is well and see if these molars finally break the skin and then try again.   We are going to leave the bed in his room and keep talking it up and see if he shows anymore interest in it.   


We went out to a famliy date night on Saturday, at a local BBQ place, Mission BBQ,  and it was so good.  I'm pretty sure I gained at least 5lbs this weekend with my poor food choices but I don't even care. It was all worth it.  


Pulled chicken sandwich and cheesy potatoes 


I've been using my navy Longchamp bag this week and it's actually been working great with the kids.  Since it was freezing I was rocking my swing sweater.  As much as I love that thing I'll be ready to retire it when warm weather finally arrives!! 

Sunday we started the day off with Church, which has become amusing with kids.  We basically stand in the back room with ALL the other kids under 5 yrs old and their parents and sort of listen while also wrangling loud crazy kids.   We then had breakfast at my parents and came home to finish cleaning the house and garage.  


Miller's new favorite thing is to wear his backpack and take Layla for a walk.  It's so cute to watch and Layla is so sweet and gentle with him. She never pulls or knocks him down :) 

We enjoyed some Sunday evening appetizers before our glamorous dinner of frozen pizza.  
Weekends are for being lazy and not counting calories around our house :)  

And because this poor kid has been such an angel and going with the flow over the past week I couldn't leave him out! He loves watching us eat and waving his arms and talking! It is the best.  (sorry about the Kyle backside photobomb)  #whoops 


Hope you all had a great weekend!

SHARE:

7 comments

  1. It was so cold on Saturday but we spent all day outside yesterday. I am so ready for short sleeves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry the big bed transition hasn't been as smooth as you hoped. And I'm really sorry that you had to handle both crying boys at the same time while Kyle was gone. You're a rockstar mommy!! I hope once the molars are through and his cold is over that he'll be ready to sleep through the night for you again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girlfriend, you are seriously a champion, mama!!! You must have patience of steel!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Miller, well really poor you and Kyle!! That has got to be so hard hearing him cry and scream! You know I've got no advice but I do hope it gets better! I love how honest you are and tell it like it is. It's not all shopping and out to lunches you are raising two kids and clearly it isn't all roses and daisies. The chick Fil a stand off had me cracking up! Atleast you got to eat and drink your wine!
    Ally - Life as I know it

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe you made it through Friday on 3 hours of sleep! You deserved an entire bottle of wine that night!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh girl, I feel your pain. You deserve all of the wine and calories every day! I was cracking up at the Chic Fil a! Greyson is a HORRIFIC sleeper and has been since birth. He was awful with the toddler bed so we moved him straight to the full size (converted from his crib) and he was good in it for a while. He gets up every night still, but we can lay in the bed with him. Honestly, we go on the whatever we can for us to get some sleep routine around here :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post full of useful tips! My site is fairly new and I am also having a hard time getting my readers to leave comments. Analytics shows they are coming to the site but I have a feeling “nobody wants to be first”.
    black friday deals on mattresses

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Your comments make my day. If you have a question feel free to email me at eastcoastnat@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogger Template Created by pipdig