7.28.2014

What's on my Book Shelf?

I've been trying really hard to read more over the last 6 months. While I'm still not reading as much as I used to pre-baby I'm getting at least a book a month which is good with me. For the second half of the year I'm trying it read 2-3 books per month, even though I know this might be impossible come November I hope to keep up the goal.   
I am headed to the beach this weekend and looking for some new books so I would love for you to throw your suggestions my way!

Here is what I've read lately: 

Beautiful Day by Elin Hilderbrand
Synopsis from Goodreads: The Carmichaels and Grahams have gathered on Nantucket for a wedding. Plans are being made according to the wishes of the bride's late mother, who left behind The Notebook: specific instructions for every detail of her youngest daughter's future nuptials. Everything should be falling into place for the beautiful event--but in reality, things are far from perfect. 
While the couple-to-be are quite happy, their loved ones find their own lives crumbling. In the days leading up to the wedding, love will be questioned, scandals will arise, and hearts will be broken and healed. Elin Hilderbrand takes readers on a touching journey in BEAUTIFUL DAY--into the heart of marriage, what it means to be faithful, and how we choose to honor our commitments.
I think this has to be my least favorite Elin Hilderbrand book.  I usually love her stuff and love that they all take place on Nantucket but I just couldn't really get into this oneI can't pinpoint exactly what I didn't like but I didn't find many of the characters likeable which may have been the problem. The story line also dragged most of the time. 



Allegiant by Veronica Roth
Synopsis from Goodreads: The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.    But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love 
This was the final book in the Divergent series and I loved this series more than I did Hunger Games.  The book was fine, I would say it was better than Mocking Jay but still wasn't as good as I hoped. I think the double POV of Tris and Four is what complicated it.  I will say though that I was fine with the ending and not outraged by it.  Is is the one I would have chosen?  Probably not but I can see why the author did it.  If you're looking for a teen dystopian novel I would still suggest this series.    


Synopsis from GoodreadsHenry Lee comes upon a crowd gathered outside the Panama Hotel, once the gateway to Seattle's Japantown. It has been boarded up for decades, but now the new owner has made an incredible discovery: the belongings of Japanese families, left when they were rounded up and sent to internment camps during World War II. As Henry looks on, the owner opens a Japanese parasol.  This simple act takes old Henry Lee back to the 1940s, at the height of the war, when young Henry's world is a jumble of confusion and excitement, and to his father, who is obsessed with the war in China and having Henry grow up American. While "scholarshipping" at the exclusive Rainier Elementary, where the white kids ignore him, Henry meets Keiko Okabe, a young Japanese American student. Amid the chaos of blackouts, curfews, and FBI raids, Henry and Keiko forge a bond of friendship - and innocent love - that transcends the long-standing prejudices of their Old World ancestors. And after Keiko and her family are swept up in the evacuations to the internment camps, she and Henry are left only with the hope that the war will end, and that their promise to each other will be kept.

Forty years later, Henry Lee is certain that the parasol belonged to Keiko. In the hotel's dark dusty basement he begins looking for signs of the Okabe family's belongings and for a long-lost object whose value he cannot begin to measure. Now a widower, Henry is still trying to find his voice - words that might explain the actions of his nationalistic father; words that might bridge the gap between him and his modern, Chinese American son; words that might help him confront the choices he made many years ago
 
My mom lent me this book years ago and I just keep overlooking it.  I finally picked it up this spring it up this spring and decided to give it a try.  I am so glad I did!  It took me a little while to get into it but once I got into it I was hooked.  I loved the history in the book and there is so much I learned about Japanese internment camps during WWII and what life was like for a lot of Asians at this time.  The book is really well written and the story unfolds so well.  

Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple
 Synopsis from Goodreads: Bernadette Fox is notorious. To her Microsoft-guru husband, she's a fearlessly opinionated partner; to fellow private-school mothers in Seattle, she's a disgrace; to design mavens, she's a revolutionary architect, and to 15-year-old Bee, she is a best friend and, simply, Mom.  Then Bernadette disappears. It began when Bee aced her report card and claimed her promised reward: a family trip to Antarctica. But Bernadette's intensifying allergy to Seattle—and people in general—has made her so agoraphobic that a virtual assistant in India now runs her most basic errands. A trip to the end of the earth is problematic.

To find her mother, Bee compiles email messages, official documents, secret correspondence—creating a compulsively readable and touching novel about misplaced genius and a mother and daughter's role in an absurd world
This was a great read!  I thought it was very well written and I think I got through it in 2 or 3 days.  I was intrigued by the story of Bernadette and all her little quirks.  Highly suggest this one for a good summer read. 


The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty
Synopsis from Goodreads: Imagine that your husband wrote you a letter, to be opened after his death. Imagine, too, that the letter contains his deepest, darkest secret—something with the potential to destroy not just the life you built together, but the lives of others as well. Imagine, then, that you stumble across that letter while your husband is still very much alive. . . .
Cecilia Fitzpatrick has achieved it all—she’s an incredibly successful businesswoman, a pillar of her small community, and a devoted wife and mother. Her life is as orderly and spotless as her home. But that letter is about to change everything, and not just for her: Rachel and Tess barely know Cecilia—or each other—but they too are about to feel the earth-shattering repercussions of her husband’s secret.
Another great summer easy read! A few people suggested this to me and I'm so glad I picked it up.  I really liked the writing and thought the story moved quickly and kept me intrigue the whole time.  This was my first Liane Moriarty book and she's quickly becoming a new favorite. 

What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty
Synopsis from GoodreadsAlice Love is twenty-nine, crazy about her husband, and pregnant with her first child.
So imagine Alice’s surprise when she comes to on the floor of a gym (a gym! She HATES the gym) and is whisked off to the hospital where she discovers the honeymoon is truly over — she’s getting divorced, she has three kids, and she’s actually 39 years old. Alice must reconstruct the events of a lost decade, and find out whether it’s possible to reconstruct her life at the same time. She has to figure out why her sister hardly talks to her, and how is it that she’s become one of those super skinny moms with really expensive clothes. Ultimately, Alice must discover whether forgetting is a blessing or a curse, and whether it’s possible to start over
I picked this up from the library right after I read The Husband's Secret.   I really liked this one too and it's another easy summer read.   It was fun to try to piece together Alice's "missing life" from the different storylines through out the book and try to figure out how everything was going to work out.  

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes 
Synopsis from Goodreads: Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick. What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.

Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that. What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time
Love, love, loved this book.  I recommend everyone read this.   I didn't know much about it before I got it from the library except that I had seen a few people recommend it and I'm so glad I didn't.  I thought it was a little slow at first but quickly got sucked into the story and could not put it down.  I was up one night reading it until 2am!   I don't want to say too much to give the story away just know it was a good one. 

So what's on your bookshelf?  Read any good books lately? 
SHARE:

14 comments

  1. I loved Where'd You Go Bernadette! Such a fun read. I just picked up Divergent. I am a little weird about serious books and I always have to know the ending (I don't like surprises and I can't enjoy the book if I don't know how it ends). I loved The Hunger Games series and tend to just reread it instead of searching out new books. I'm going to have check out a few of your suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you shared this, there are a few on here I've been wanting to read too! I'm almost done with the Husband's Secret, which was slow to me at first, but now I'm really into it. Hopefully I can get a few more books in before our busy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like some fabulous reads! I wish I had more time to escape in a book. How do you find the time to read and keep up with everything else mama? Do spill your secrets!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for new books to add to my list!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I've read a bunch of these too...LOVED the Divergent series and I was okay with how it ended as well though I liked the first book the best.

    The Husband's Secret, I had a hard time getting into and it took me a while to read. I liked the end though.
    Where'd You Go Bernadette, I didn't love this one to be honest, it was okay but definitely not a favorite.
    Me Before You- I JUST finished this over the weekend and really liked it. Very good book. I think I will definitely check out more of her books.

    I also read A Fault in Our Stars which I really liked. And next on my list is We Were Liars.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me Before You was such a tear jerker!! I loved that book. Still want to read the Bernadette one. Do you have a kindle? Amazon is now offering $10 a month unlimited e books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sad, my Nook just died for good this weekend so I'm trying to figure out what to do. Do you read with a kindle? I've had The Husbands Secret and Where'd You Go Bernadette on my list

    ReplyDelete
  8. I stopped about halfway through The Hotel... just couldn't get into it. But your last three recommendations are on my to-read list for sure - I just need to stop adding more books in front of them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this list!!! I was just now trying to decide what my next read was going to be! I'm going to get "Me Before You" right now! I loved Allegiant, Husbands Secret, and What Alice Forgot. All great reads! The others I haven't read yet. Anyway...thanks!!!!
    www.onestylishmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Owow you've got a little mix of everything here! I've been really into teeny bopper romance novels lately since it's tough to commit to anything heavier during my summer lol...Have you read the Hopeless series by Colleen Hoover? Light and easy reading but the story is just so solid! Just finished The Fault in our Stars too in time for the movie, which was sooooo much better than the book! That never happens! lol

    Thanks for the recs!

    xo-Julie
    Peace. Love. LOL!

    Haute Khuuture Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was just on Amazon wish listing new books, how funny! Some of yours are on my list! This summer I've read EMily Giffin's The Only and Only, Lisa See's China Dolls, and I'm on to Sue Monk Kidd's The Invention of Wings. I've really enjoyed them all. I highly recommend all of Lisa See's books, she is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was just working on a book post too ! We have read so many of the same books :) I loved what alice forgot and the husbands secret, as well as where did you go bernadette. I read you before me on the honeymoon and loved it!!! Liane Mortiary's new book comes out tomorrow and I pre-ordered it, so I can't wait to devour it. I like Elin Hilderbrand a lot too, but haven't read that first one, so I'm glad you did a review - I won't pick that one! I'm reading This is Where I leave You right now and loving it!

    www.itsthelittlethingsblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am currently reading Me Before You for my book club and just started it (about 30 pages in) so happy to see you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I felt the same way about Beautiful Day by Elin! Her books are usually my go-to for summer reads, but I think the storyline was super depressing from the start, and it certainly did not make the top of the list for my favorites.

    I did just finish "Silver Girl" though and LOVED it. It was almost 400 pages, and I finished it so quickly!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Your comments make my day. If you have a question feel free to email me at eastcoastnat@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogger Template Created by pipdig